Hans Peter Hiby
Was born in Gevelsberg Germany in 1962 and has lived in Wuppertal since 1967.
He has worked as musician/composer in the contemporary free jazz and improvised music scene since 1985.
In 1979 he received from the saxophonist Peter Brötzmann his first tenor saxophone. During the 1980’s he played with various musicians from the local scene. He presented with the Wuppertaler painter and Gallerist Jürgen “Bolle” Grölle and others the performance “Perpetuum moda”.
Early in 1986 he got to know, through the English trombonist Alan Tomlinson, the drummer Paul Hession, also from England. They decided to form a duo and in autumn of that year they toured together through Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany and England. This was the first of many subsequent tours that the two musicians made together.
In the same year, along with Jürgen “Bolle” Grölle and Ulrich Halstenbach, he rented an empty factory space in Wuppertal and invited various musicians and artists to participate in the festival “Postnuclear action days”.
During 1988 Hans Peter Hiby and Paul Hession produced their LP “The real case”. Also during the late eighties and early nineties he played in:
- Duo with Peter Kowald (b)
- Duo with Paul Hession (dr)
- Duo with Martin Blume (dr)
- Trio with Michael Bardon (b) / Paul Hession (dr)
- Trio with Dieter Manderscheid (b) / Paul Hession (dr)
- Trio with Dieter Manderscheid (b) / Thomas Sauerborn (dr)
- Trio with Roberto Bellatalla (b) / Paul Hession (dr)
- Trio with Fredo Gubler (git) / Axel Kottsieper (dr)
- Trio with Rüdiger Phillip (b) / Martin Blume (dr)
- Trio with Luc Houtkamp (sax) / Willi Kellers (dr)
- Trio “Exil” with Sirone (b) / Louis Moholo (dr)
- Quartet with Johannes Bauer (tb) / Marcio Mattos (b) / Martin Blume (dr)
- Quartet with Marcio Mattos (b) / Roberto Bellatalla (b) / Paul Hession (dr)
- Quartet with Stefan Keune (sax) / Raoul van der Weide (b) / Martin Blume (dr)
During the nineties he gave his first solo concerts in Germany, England and the former Czechoslovakia.
In addition to his collaborations with the above he has played with many musicians in the international free jazz and improvised music scene such as: Peter Kowald, Paul Rodgers, Dieter Manderscheid, Martin Theurer, Paul Rutherford, Werner Lüdi, Alan Silva, Alan Wilkinson, Dietrich Rauschtenberger and many others.
Also with visuel artists such as A.R. Penck, Dirk Thiele, Jürgen “Bolle” Grölle, Sotosz and Marcus Lüppertz.